In 52 AD, St. Thomas, the apostle landed in India at Maliankara near the port of Musiris. This Port was also called Muchiri because the Periyar branches out into three (In Malayalam these three branches were called Muchiri or three broken lips) before it joins the Arabian Sea. This was one of the oldest and busiest port on the West Coast of India known to the world by more than twenty different names. In the biggest ever flood known in the history of Kerala, this Port was washed off in 1341 AD and a new Island known as Vypin was formed near Kochi or Cochin in the Vembanad Lake.
People from various places migrated to the new island. Portuguese built a fort at Pallipuram as a watchtower. It was in 1503. It is the oldest existing European fort in India. Same time, the Portugese built a Church for the believers surrounding area and dedicated to Our Lady. It was the church on that time, where Christians in that area gathered together for worship.
During the invasion of Mysorean in Kerala in 18th century, Tipu Sultan was camped near River Chalakkudy for attacking parts of Travancore. He destroyed most Christian and Hindu worship places. The local people gathered together in the Church and prayed to Our Lady for their help. At that time, there was a mist (snow) spread around the church and Tipu and his military they could not seen the church or surrounding areas. They thought it was part of the Arabain Sea. And there was also a high flood in River Periyar and Tipu lost a huge part of his military and returned to Mysore. It was the miracle turned Our Lady’s name to Manjumatha (Our Layd of Snow).
In 2007, the Church celebrated it’s 500th anniversary.
The church renovated in 1931 and 2006.